Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty) Toshiba Sound Problems

So I recently installed Feisty on my Toshiba Satellite L35-S1054 laptop and everything went perfectly smooth; like cutting butter. Until I decided to crank up the volume while attempting to listen to some 311. Ubuntu detected my card obviously, ALSA seemed as is SHOULD be working... LSPCI?
Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SB450 HDA Audio
Perfect... Not. Still no sound whatsoever. So I opened up Firefox and typed in some specs and did a large ammount of research. I found tons of Ubuntu users with the same problem, but it was almost like it was ignored, by the whole community. Simply no solution.

So I join the IRC channel on freenode, and give them my two sense. For two weeks. Finally, tonight, as I'm typing this blog, crimsun, being the good man he is took a little time off his work day to fix the one-line problem in the kernel. The update will be available just as soon as the new kernel is released, after updating and running the command below, sound should be working on my otherwise amazing install of Feisty.
sudo modprobe -r snd_hda_intel && modprobe snd_hda_intel model=auto

6 comments:

DarGrze said...

Try start module with option model="3stack" and increase volumes in alsamixer. Regards.

Airencracken said...

I have the same problem. Hopefully this update fixes the headphone jack problem that Edgy had as well. Very annoying problem. I too, didn't get any support from the community. Left me with a lowered opinion of Ubuntu's community.

Aníbal said...

Hi, I've the Toshiba L35-SP1011, and I try to solve the problem of SB450, but I can't. The new kernel was installed, using the last release of ALSA driver, but nothing happens. You have any idea of the real problem with this driver?,

Aníbal said...

Hi, I've the Toshiba L35-SP1011, and I try to solve the problem of SB450, but I can't. The new kernel was installed, using the last release of ALSA driver, but nothing happens. You have any idea of the real problem with this driver?,

deicide said...

I have this problem .. but i use option model="3stack" and my sound work.... after that updatet kubuntu and now have sound up and running

Anonymous said...

toshiba satellite u305 video blog
BuyTV, Episode 098, Toshiba Satellite U305-s2812